THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW AND OTHER STORIES : Collins ClassicsE. M. Berens
BRAND NEW, PAPERBACK
A Comprehensive Collection of Stories From Greek And Roman Mythology
1 in stock
- Detail Description
HarperCollins is proud to present its incredible range of best-loved, essential classics. “Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome” is a comprehensive collection of stories from Greek and Roman mythology.
E. M. Berens’ “Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome” is a well-regarded resource that provides a detailed and comprehensive overview of the myths, legends, and stories from these ancient civilizations. The book includes retellings of the major myths, the stories of gods and goddesses, legendary heroes, and epic events from Greek and Roman mythology.
It provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the myths and stories of these ancient civilizations. In the book, you can expect to find retellings of the most famous Greek and Roman myths, including the tales of the gods and goddesses, the adventures of heroes, and the epic events of antiquity. ‘This was the slaying of the Minotaur, which put an end forever to the shameful tribute of seven youths and seven maidens which was exacted from the Athenians every nine years.‘
The gods, heroes and legends of Greek mythology and their Roman interpretations are as fascinating as they are instructive. They include the almighty Zeus and his many wives; heroic Perseus, slayer of the snake-headed Medusa; Helen of Troy, whose beauty caused a great war; Medea, driven mad by jealousy; and tragic Persephone, doomed to live half of each year in the Underworld, condemning the world above to winter.
First published in 1880, this comprehensive collection is an early modern retelling of the characters and tales of ancient Greece and Rome; a popular account which offers an important insight into the ancient civilisations that it evokes, and forms a basis for our understanding of the classical world.
Here are some of the most popular myths and legends of Ancient Greece and Rome :
1. The Creation of the World: The story of how the world was created by the gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece and Rome.
2. The Twelve Olympians: The twelve most important gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece and Rome, including Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes, and Dionysus.
3. The Trojan War: The story of the Trojan War, which was fought between the Greeks and the Trojans over the beautiful Helen of Troy.
4. The Labors of Hercules: The twelve labors that the hero Hercules had to complete in order to redeem himself after killing his wife and children in a fit of madness.
5. The Adventures of Odysseus: The story of Odysseus, a hero of the Trojan War, and his ten-year journey home to Ithaca.
6. The Story of Theseus and the Minotaur: The story of how the hero Theseus defeated the monstrous Minotaur in the labyrinth of King Minos.
7. The Rape of Persephone: The story of how Hades, the god of the underworld, abducted Persephone, the daughter of Demeter, and made her his queen.
8. The Story of Romulus and Remus: The story of how Rome was founded by the twin brothers Romulus and Remus, who were raised by a she-wolf.
9. The Story of Cupid and Psyche: The story of how the beautiful mortal Psyche fell in love with the god of love, Cupid, and had to complete a series of impossible tasks to prove her love.
10. The Story of Orpheus and Eurydice: The story of how the musician Orpheus journeyed to the underworld to rescue his wife Eurydice, but failed to follow the one rule he was given.
The myths and legends of Ancient Greece and Rome have had a significant influence on modern culture in various ways. Here are some examples:
◆ Language: Many words and phrases in the English language have their roots in Greek and Roman mythology, such as “Herculean,” “narcissistic,” and “muse.”
◆ Literature: Greek and Roman mythology has been a source of inspiration for many writers throughout history, including Shakespeare, Milton, and Dante. The stories and characters from these myths continue to be adapted and reimagined in modern literature.
◆ Art: Greek and Roman mythology has been a popular subject in art for centuries, with many famous paintings and sculptures depicting scenes and characters fro
m these myths.
◆ Science: Greek and Roman mythology has influenced scientific discoveries and naming conventions, such as the naming of planets and constellations after gods and goddesses.
◆ Popular culture: Greek and Roman mythology has had a significant impact on popular culture, with many movies, TV shows, and video games featuring characters and stories from these myths.
◆ Philosophy: Greek and Roman mythology has influenced philosophical thought, particularly in the areas of ethics and morality.
◆ Politics: The political systems of Ancient Greece and Rome have had a lasting impact on modern political systems, with many democratic governments drawing inspiration from these ancient models.
This book has been used as a valuable resource for students and readers interested in exploring the rich tapestry of Greek and Roman mythology, making it a useful reference for those seeking to understand the myths, legends, and stories that have had a significant influence on Western culture. Overall, “Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome” by E.M. Berens is a comprehensive and accessible collection of stories that provides a valuable introduction to the rich and fascinating world of Greek and Roman mythology.
About the Author :
E. M. Berens was a classical scholar and author who wrote several books exploring the mythology and oral traditions of ancient civilisations. Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome is his seminal work and was published in 1894.
Bestsellers, Books, Business / Economics / Leadership / Management / Marketing / Project Management / Crisis Management, Non-Fiction
(Preloved Wrapped) THE NEW EMERGING MARKET MULTINATIONALS : Four Strategies For Disrupting Markets And Building BrandsAmitava Chattopadhyay, Aysegul Ozsomer, Rajeev Batra
WELL USED, HARDCOVER
WELL USED, HARDCOVER
1 in stock
Action-Packed / Crime / Conspiracy / Spy / Psychology / Horror / Paranormal / Dystopian / Mystery, Bestsellers, Books, Fiction, Historical / Political / War / Memoir / True Story
WE, THE SURVIVORS : A NovelTash Aw
BRAND NEW, PAPERBACK RM20.00
1 in stock
Artworks, Chinese Calligraphy
《Chinese Calligraphy From China + New + Unique Masterpiece 》中国书法/字画 独一无二手艺作品: 言必行行必果● (Yan Bi Xing Xing Bi Guo)Yu Qi
BRAND NEW, PAPERBACK RM320.00
1 in stock
Books, Business / Economics / Leadership / Management / Marketing / Project Management / Crisis Management, Non-Fiction, Psychology / Philosophy / Negotiations / Emotional Intelligence (EQ) / Body-Language, Self Help / Motivation / Spiritual / Religion / Career Development
HOW WILL YOU MEASURE YOUR LIFEClayton M Christensen , James Allworth , Karen Dillon
LIKE NEW, PAPERBACK RM20.00
Out of stock