DEEP WORK : Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted WorldCal Newport
LIKE NEW, PAPERBACK
A Practical Framework To Cultivate Deep Work In Daily Routine & Offers Strategies & Guidelines To Achieve A State of Flow & Concentration Or Focused Success
1 in stock
- Detail Description
★★ AN AMAZON BEST BOOK OF 2O16 PICK IN BUSINESS & LEADERSHIP ★★
★★ WALL STREET JOURNAL BUSINESS BESTSELLER ★★
★★ A BUSINESS BOOK OF THE WEEK AT 800-CEO-READ ★★
The central premise of “Deep Work” is that in order to excel in your professional and personal life, you must be able to engage in deep, concentrated work for extended periods without distraction. Newport argues that the ability to do deep work is becoming increasingly rare in today’s world due to the prevalence of distractions like social media, email, and constant connectivity.
He introduces the concept of “deep work,” which refers to the ability to concentrate on demanding tasks with full cognitive capacity, and contrasts it with “shallow work,” which includes tasks that are often superficial and don’t require intense concentration. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time.
Deep Work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there’s a better way.
In Deep Work, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. The book provides a framework for cultivating deep work in your daily routine and offers various strategies and guidelines to help you achieve a state of flow and concentration. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits.
He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four “rules,” for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill.
● 1. Work Deeply
● 2. Embrace Boredom
● 3. Quit Social Media
● 4. Drain the Shallows
A mix of cultural criticism and actionable advice, It takes the reader on a journey through memorable stories-from Carl Jung building a stone tower in the woods to focus his mind, to a social media pioneer buying a round-trip business class ticket to Tokyo to write a book free from distraction in the air-and no-nonsense advice, such as the claim that most serious professionals should quit social media and that you should practice being bored. Deep Work is an indispensable guide to anyone seeking focused success in a distracted world.
Some of the key concepts and rules discussed in the book include:
1. Work Deeply: Newport emphasizes the importance of scheduling and dedicating specific blocks of time for deep work. This involves minimizing or eliminating distractions and focusing solely on a single task or project.
2. Embrace Boredom: Newport argues that the ability to tolerate boredom and resist the urge for constant novelty is essential for deep work. This means reducing or eliminating the habitual use of social media and other distracting activities.
3. Quit Social Media (or Use It Intentionally): Newport challenges the conventional wisdom that everyone should be on social media all the time. He encourages readers to critically evaluate the value of social media in their lives and to use it with intention rather than mindlessly scrolling.
4. Drain the Shallows: Newport introduces the concept of “shallow work,” which includes tasks like checking email, attending meetings, and other low-value activities that often dominate our workdays. He suggests minimizing shallow work to create more time for deep work.
5. Ritualize Your Work: Developing rituals or routines for deep work can help make it a consistent and sustainable part of your life. Newport provides examples of how successful individuals have integrated deep work rituals into their daily schedules.
6. Make Grand Gestures: Newport explores the idea of making significant changes to your environment or work habits to facilitate deep work. For example, he discusses the famous writer J.K. Rowling’s decision to check into a hotel to finish writing one of her books, eliminating distractions completely.
Overall, “Deep Work” is a practical guide for anyone looking to improve their productivity, focus, and overall effectiveness in a world filled with distractions. It has resonated with professionals, students, and anyone seeking to make the most of their time and cognitive abilities.
About the Author :
Cal Newport is a computer science professor at Georgetown University and a New York Times bestselling author of seven books, including, A World Without Email, Digital Minimalism, So Good They Can’t Ignore You, and Deep Work, which have been published in over 35 languages. He is a regular contributor to the New Yorker, the New York Times, and WIRED, a frequent guest on NPR, and the host of the popular Deep Questions podcast.
Books, Business / Economics / Leadership / Management / Marketing / Project Management / Crisis Management, HR / Talent Management / Recruitment / Training & Coaching, Non-Fiction, Self Help / Motivation / Spiritual / Religion / Career Development
NEXT GENERATION LEARDERSHIP : How To Ensure Young Talent Will Thrive With Your OrganizationAdam Kingl
LIKE NEW, HARDCOVER RM29.00
Out of stock
Books, Fiction, Historical / Political / War / Memoir / True Story
High DiveJonathan Lee
BRAND NEW, PAPERBACK
BRAND NEW, PAPERBACK
1 in stock
Bestsellers, Books, Non-Fiction, Parenting & Family / Relationships / Marriages / Homeschooling, Psychology / Philosophy / Negotiations / Emotional Intelligence (EQ) / Body-Language, Self Help / Motivation / Spiritual / Religion / Career Development
WHY MEN LOVE BITCHES : From Doormat To Dreamgirl – A Woman’s Guide To Holding Her Own In A RelationshipSherry Argov
LIGHTLY USED, PAPERBACK RM23.00
Out of stock